Saturday, April 27, 2019

You're on Your Own

I came home from work on Wednesday afternoon, and they put a gate up across the road right after my site. I knew there weren't many people in the campground, but this was confirmation that I was the only one. There were only five sites now that weren't closed off.

The campground itself is creepy quiet. There aren't even crickets making noise that my ears can hear. I never had a problem being out by myself before, but there was always a dog at my side. The dogs were my eyes and ears.

There was one night when I was out having a cigarette. I was standing by my porch light looking out into the distance scanning for movement or eyes. I had only the companionship of the dull sound of cicadas that is my hearing now.  It's a constant reminder of one too many industrial jobs whose only concern for the well-being of their employees is a thin facade hiding the concern for their own liabilities.

I stood outside for a good 5 minutes. The light of my camper had drawn in some mosquitoes. Apparently the temptation was too great, and a nearby bat came down to feast.  5 minutes of silence interrupted by the fluttering of a bat a foot away from my head was pretty unsettling.  I jumped, the hair stood up on my neck, I put my cigarette out and went to bed.

Thursday night around 10pm, the power went out. I was watching a movie on my phone, and I caught it out of the corner of my eye. The lights on the nearby bath house went out. The power loss was confirmed by a text message to my phone from my Marcell monitor.

There's nobody to call.  The office was closed, and cell service is spotty. I had seen a utility truck with an emergency flashing beacon drive by half an hour earlier.  I wasn't sure what was going on, but it seemed like a not-so-subtle clue that they were telling me to leave.

The irony is that with all the street lamps out, I was more comfortable.  The streetlamps let you see the ground immediately around them, but you're blinded to anything beyond the light.  I woke in the morning and fired the generator.

Once the offices opened, I started making phone calls.  I was told that there was an underground power blowout. The woman on the phone told me that this would not be a quick fix.  She didn't care if I stayed but I wouldn't have power.  I brought along all the equipment I needed to stay off grid, but it wasn't hooked up yet.

I decided that my house had wheels and it was time to move down the road.  The campground that I'm at now is nicer but there's more people. I preferred my solitude over concrete pads and well kempt grass.  I could have dealt with a lack of power, but hot showers are non-negotiable.